So, you are a man of style and you are out to make a style statement? Well, what a better way than to have something different about you that stays with you even when you go to bed. Gotcha! Now you’re wondering, what is that style statement that you can take to bed with you? Hang on, it is not your undies.
Let’s not keep the secret away from you any longer. So, the thing that will set you apart from hoards of men is the goatee style you adorn. That small patch of beard, bang on your chin is called goatee. How you carry your facial hair styles gives you a distinct air and those who wear different goatee styles are likely to get more noticed than the clean shaven guys. If you do decided to sport one, the goatee that is, you are bound to make heads turn. Obviously, other things like clothes, etc. will matter, but the first impression will be built with the stylish you in a stylish goatee.
So are you game for one?
Someone once said, “A goatee beard gives a man what all the wealth cannot and that is style and sophistication”. If there is any truth in this saying, any man worth his salt would want to try keeping a goatee, at least, once in his lifetime. So are you game?
If you are, then here is a lot more about how goatee became a rage and why is it that men tend to look kind of chiselled with a goatee beard.
More about Goatee
So, how did goatee get its name? Have you seen the clump of hair on the chin of a goat? Yes, yes, GOAT—the animal. Now that’s where the goatee got its name. It was in the 1920s that men started keeping a small tuft of hair on their chin and it looked so similar to the goat’s beard that this style became popular and came to be known as goatee.
During the 90s, the goatee style of beard became a rage. More and more men started keeping goatees. It was in Paris that the goatee styles picked up amongst the bohemians and then during the American Civil War, it reached the confines of US. The Americans were so taken in by the goatee style of beard that even their President kept one. Don’t you remember President Lincoln in his customary goatee? Slowly the goatee style caught the imagination of the international fashion aficionados and men from all across the world started getting the goatee look. The style that was initially considered offbeat, became a hit with everyday working class too. Needless to say, that the good old goatee has seen many ages and styles.
Different Faces, Different Goatees
Guys, hang on! Like one shoe doesn’t fit all, same ways, one goatee doesn’t fit all faces. You must remember that each one of you has a different face cut—you probably have a square face, round face, plum face, gaunt face… So you’ve got to choose a style of goatee that suits your face cut. These are a few factors that you must consider before zeroing on a particular goatee style:
- Face cut— very important. What suits you, may not suit your friend and vice versa.
- Age—it is but understood that a guy in his 40s cannot and must not dress up like the guy in his 20s unless he wants to become the laughing stock. Thus, choose a goatee style that compliments your age.
- Skin colour— yup, important! Mind your skin colour.
- Profession— a doctor can’t look like a rock star, can he? There is something called an image and our professional success very largely depends upon it.
- Purpose—why on earth do you want to keep a goatee? Just because everyone else is? A good reason, but not good enough.
So you see that a number of factors determine the beard styles for men. Let us go to what are the different styles of goatees and the face cut that they look good on. Later, we’ll discuss how to get the perfect look with the perfect goatee style.
So here you are:
1. ‘Pure goatee’ this was the original goatee that came with no moustache. Undoubtedly, it gives an instant new look to the wearer. A little patch of hair on the chin—and that’s all. A bit unusual! Mostly men between the ages of 18 to 25 keep this type of goatees. This type of goatee mostly suits men who are tall and thin. Fat men should not opt for this type of goatees as they will look heavier with this style.
2. ‘Full Goatee, full goatee comes with a moustache. In fact, the two are joined from the sides of the mouth. Kind of interesting! This is a classic type of goatee in which moustache is joined to the beard surrounding the mouth. Also, this type of goatee is seen on the face of the world famous actor, Dwayne Johnson because most of the bald people prefer this type of goatee.
3. ‘Classic Van Dyke Goatee’, this is quite different than the original goatee. Classic Van Dyke goatee is a combination of three, which is, the patch of hair on the chin, the soul patch and the moustache, but neither of them are attached to each other. It is like a three-piece beard!
This type of beard is mostly preferred by the men in the age group of 20-35 years.
4. ‘Anchor Goatee’, this is quite similar to the Van Dyke Goatee, but a little longer and covers the jawline. Many Hollywood hunks have been a fan of this style of goatee. Ryan Reynolds to Robert Pattinson and others. Marvel Star and a famous actor Robert Downey Jr. has tried this and has kept this in many of his movies. This suits the type of goatee suits people with a longer face cut.
5. ‘Extended goatee’, this goatee reaches up to your hair and meets hair on the sides. It is your personal choice to keep the line of the goatee thick or thin. Favourite beard style of Leonardo Dicaprio, obviously followed by millions of his fans, worldwide. It is believed that men with extended beards are more daring than the men with full or classic goatees.
6. ‘Professional Goatee’ not much variation, except that it is cleaner and well- trimmed and tends to make the guy look formal and executive type. Most of the corporate honchos, entrepreneurs and the people who matter like to sport this type of goatee. The look is that of a mature man who knows what he is doing.
7. ‘Goatee for hairy men’, well, if you’re already hairy, you’ve got to keep it light. So, the usual goatee, but with a smarter and more rugged look, like President Lincoln’s. This was highly preferred by Abraham Lincoln and also other men who are already hairy.
8. ‘Goatee with cap’, that’s a cool look. It gives men a boyish look and makes them appear younger than their years. Which man wouldn’t want that? Mostly the men in the age group of 30 to 40 years prefer this look. It is actually a simple beard with sideburns and a cap on the head goes with it.
9. ‘Selfie goatees’, selfie goatees are mainly the ‘feel good’ goatees. Mainly to boost ones’ confidence. So, together with the goatee (which could be of any type), the look is accessorized with sunglasses or an ear stud or some other stuff. This look is supposed to motivate men when they are about to perform some task which could make them nervous.
10. ‘Goatee for a particular skin colour’, yes that’s right. Your skin colour also determines the style of your goatee. Simply as you wouldn’t want to look like a gorilla with too much of facial hair. Also, the type of beard is very important to match with your skin colour. So, ensure that your goatee style is in tandem with your skin colour.
11. ‘Messy goatee’, as the name suggests, the messy goatee is a bunch of messy hair that is not trimmed properly, all the same, this messy bunch of hair is only on the chin. No moustache, no sideburns, only a patch of messed up hair on the chin. This is mostly preferred by slightly plump people.
12. ‘Swag goatee for long faced men’ this is a goatee that will make your longish face look a wee bit square and will give you a rugged and handsome look. This is mostly preferred by the youngsters. Also, men with longer face cut should go for a this-this type of goatee.
13. ‘Braided goatee’ this is a slightly offbeat goatee style and unless you like sporting an unusual look, you’d like to stay away from it. However, if you’re one of those who likes unconventional dressing and cares two hoots for people’s opinion, then this is the perfect goatee style for you. Mostly bald people prefer this type of goatee, but there’s no rule even if you have a thick mane, you could go for it.
14. ‘Trimmed goatee’, only a man who has that envious heart-shaped face that makes women swoon all over should go for the trimmed goatee. This type of goatee will enhance the looks of an already good-looking man. This gives a neat and tidy look to the men and this is a very popular look.
15. ‘Soul patch goatee’ this style of goatee was made popular by musicians like Billy Ray Cyrus. There is a small bunch of hair just below the chin that can be trimmed or shaved into a goatee. It is a very simple and elegant look preferred by thin and tall men. This look was highly famous among the African-American men.
16. ‘Goatee for oval shape’ this is for the people who have cheekbones slightly wider than the jaw bones and also their chin is vertically symmetrical to their forehead. Also, for those men who are short in height, this is the perfect goatee for them. This look can also be used by tall men. Anchor goatee and the Classic Van Dyke Goatee are the best examples of the goatee for an oval-shaped face.
17. ‘Goatee for men in their 20s’ ‘Goatee for men in their 20s’ is primarily to make them look mature and professional so the most suitable for them would be the pure goatee. A pure goatee can be seen on faces of many famous actors like Robert Downey Jr. and Jeremy Renner in the Marvel movies.
18. ‘Goatee for men in their 40s’ ‘Goatee for men in their 40s’ is meant to make them look younger and successful people so the most suitable goatee for the people like these would be extended goatee or the professional goatee. Chris Evans prefers this type of goatee.
19. ‘Goatee for bald men’ for bald people the most suitable type of goatee is Full Goatee. This makes them look more handsome and attractive. Also, this adds a little bit of elegance to their face. Famous Actor Dwayne Johnson highly prefers and has kept this type of goatee from a long time and he does look elegant!
20. ‘Goatee for plump men’ Plump men have round and big faces and so to look good they need to have a big beard which covers a remarkable area on their face. Generally extended and big beards are more suitable to them. Usually, these men keep long beards which are found highly suitable for plump men.
21. ‘Goatee for round-faced men’ For the people having these type of faces, the best way for goatees is long hair on the bottom and short hair on sides. This facial hairstyle is very famous now- a- days because mostly all the short and round-faced men are giving preference to this. Also, those who don’t like the long beard but trimmed beard should prefer this type of goatee.
22. ‘Goatee for teenaged boys’ Light beard with no moustache seems to be the most suitable for the teenagers. This gives a clean and tidy look to the boys and teenagers. This makes them look more attractive and fashionable.
23. ‘Goatee for long-haired men’, for men who have long hair can carry different types of goatees, but French Beard looks best on them. French beard gives a decent look to the long haired people. This look is the favorite one of Johnny Depp. He has carried this look with aplomb in many movies and in real life too.
24. ‘Goatee for Asian men’ these types of looks are liked by the Asian girls. It makes men look presentable, caring, mature and promising. So, this is the most preferred type of goatee. This type of goatee is very common in south-east Asia and people highly prefer this style.
Asian men mostly prefer the goatees like a Full goatee, Classic Van Dyke Goatee or the swag goatee.
25. ‘Goatee for Caucasian men’ the goatees kept by the men from Europe or the East Asia is known as Caucasian Goatee. Generally when people get older, they adopt this look. This is the best for older people and is highly preferred by European men.
How to get that perfect goatee?
So, here’s the method of getting the perfect goatee.
Maintain good facial skin.
- Start growing a beard, do not shave for at least 15- 20 days.
- Meanwhile, check for your face type. You could even use an online app to see what goatee style would suit you.
- Now get hold of a good trimmer and start trimming from your cheek downwards. Do not touch the hair on your chin.
- Once you have trimmed the hair, you will be able to make out what goatee style will look good on you.
- Now depending upon the goatee style that you have selected for your face type, shave off the hair on your cheek. Voila, you have your perfect goatee ready.
Some very popular and good looking men have been goatee fans, George Clooney, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Brad Pitt, Post Malone, Chris Pratt, Johnny Depp, Murder Nova, and David Shape.
So what are you waiting for? If you want a distinct style that sets you apart from the other men, here’s your chance to do so. Try out a goatee style and roam around with self-confidence.