So, you are a man of style and you are out to make a style statement? Well, what a better way than to have something different about you that stays with you even when you go to bed. Gotcha! Now you’re wondering, what is that style statement that you can take to bed with you? Hang on, it is not your undies.
Let’s not keep the secret away from you any longer. So, the thing that will set you apart from hoards of men is the goatee style you adorn. That small patch of beard, bang on your chin is called goatee. How you carry your facial hair styles gives you a distinct air and those who wear different goatee styles are likely to get more noticed than the clean shaven guys. If you do decided to sport one, the goatee that is, you are bound to make heads turn. Obviously, other things like clothes, etc. will matter, but the first impression will be built with the stylish you in a stylish goatee.
So are you game for one?
Someone once said, “A goatee beard gives a man what all the wealth cannot and that is style and sophistication”. If there is any truth in this saying, any man worth his salt would want to try keeping a goatee, at least, once in his lifetime. So are you game?
If you are, then here is a lot more about how goatee became a rage and why is it that men tend to look kind of chiselled with a goatee beard.
More about Goatee
So, how did goatee get its name? Have you seen the clump of hair on the chin of a goat? Yes, yes, GOAT—the animal. Now that’s where the goatee got its name. It was in the 1920s that men started keeping a small tuft of hair on their chin and it looked so similar to the goat’s beard that this style became popular and came to be known as goatee.
During the 90s, the goatee style of beard became a rage. More and more men started keeping goatees. It was in Paris that the goatee styles picked up amongst the bohemians and then during the American Civil War, it reached the confines of US. The Americans were so taken in by the goatee style of beard that even their President kept one. Don’t you remember President Lincoln in his customary goatee? Slowly the goatee style caught the imagination of the international fashion aficionados and men from all across the world started getting the goatee look. The style that was initially considered offbeat, became a hit with everyday working class too. Needless to say, that the good old goatee has seen many ages and styles.
Different Faces, Different Goatees
Guys, hang on! Like one shoe doesn’t fit all, same ways, one goatee doesn’t fit all faces. You must remember that each one of you has a different face cut—you probably have a square face, round face, plum face, gaunt face… So you’ve got to choose a style of goatee that suits your face cut. These are a few factors that you must consider before zeroing on a particular goatee style:
- Face cut— very important. What suits you, may not suit your friend and vice versa.
- Age—it is but understood that a guy in his 40s cannot and must not dress up like the guy in his 20s unless he wants to become the laughing stock. Thus, choose a goatee style that compliments your age.
- Skin colour— yup, important! Mind your skin colour.
- Profession— a doctor can’t look like a rock star, can he? There is something called an image and our professional success very largely depends upon it.
- Purpose—why on earth do you want to keep a goatee? Just because everyone else is? A good reason, but not good enough.
So you see that a number of factors determine the beard styles for men. Let us go to what are the different styles of goatees and the face cut that they look good on. Later, we’ll discuss how to get the perfect look with the perfect goatee style.
So here you are:
1. ‘Pure goatee’ this was the original goatee that came with no moustache. Undoubtedly, it gives an instant new look to the wearer. A little patch of hair on the chin—and that’s all. A bit unusual! Mostly men between the ages of 18 to 25 keep this type of goatees. This type of goatee mostly suits men who are tall and thin. Fat men should not opt for this type of goatees as they will look heavier with this style.
2. ‘Full Goatee, full goatee comes with a moustache. In fact, the two are joined from the sides of the mouth. Kind of interesting! This is a classic type of goatee in which moustache is joined to the beard surrounding the mouth. Also, this type of goatee is seen on the face of the world famous actor, Dwayne Johnson because most of the bald people prefer this type of goatee.
3. ‘Classic Van Dyke Goatee’, this is quite different than the original goatee. Classic Van Dyke goatee is a combination of three, which is, the patch of hair on the chin, the soul patch and the moustache, but neither of them are attached to each other. It is like a three-piece beard!
This type of beard is mostly preferred by the men in the age group of 20-35 years.
4. ‘Anchor Goatee’, this is quite similar to the Van Dyke Goatee, but a little longer and covers the jawline. Many Hollywood hunks have been a fan of this style of goatee. Ryan Reynolds to Robert Pattinson and others. Marvel Star and a famous actor Robert Downey Jr. has tried this and has kept this in many of his movies. This suits the type of goatee suits people with a longer face cut.
5. ‘Extended goatee’, this goatee reaches up to your hair and meets hair on the sides. It is your personal choice to keep the line of the goatee thick or thin. Favourite beard style of Leonardo Dicaprio, obviously followed by millions of his fans, worldwide. It is believed that men with extended beards are more daring than the men with full or classic goatees.
6. ‘Professional Goatee’ not much variation, except that it is cleaner and well- trimmed and tends to make the guy look formal and executive type. Most of the corporate honchos, entrepreneurs and the people who matter like to sport this type of goatee. The look is that of a mature man who knows what he is doing.
7. ‘Goatee for hairy men’, well, if you’re already hairy, you’ve got to keep it light. So, the usual goatee, but with a smarter and more rugged look, like President Lincoln’s. This was highly preferred by Abraham Lincoln and also other men who are already hairy.
8. ‘Goatee with cap’, that’s a cool look. It gives men a boyish look and makes them appear younger than their years. Which man wouldn’t want that? Mostly the men in the age group of 30 to 40 years prefer this look. It is actually a simple beard with sideburns and a cap on the head goes with it.